Thursday, 17 September 2009

3 amazing women.



Whilst growing up in the very late 80's I was opened up to a lot of the big American soap operas thanks to my mum and so I have distinct memories of the huge hair, shoulder pads and sensational women of Dallas and Knots Landing. After already revisting season 1 and 2 of Dallas I thought it was about time I went back to the cul-de-sac. Knots is probably the one that sticks in my memory the most and this is likely down to the fact that the BBC messed it around in the schedules, first moving it from an evening to a lunchtime slot and taking it off air for three years meaning British audiences were always way behind the American timeline. It also has an amazing theme tune.
So I have decided tp invest in the first season on dvd and am really enjoying it. In contrast to Dallas it focused on a handful of households in California who were well off, but not exactly rolling in the money and decadence of it's Texan counterpart. It was obviously aiming to be a more grounded soap and seems to centre on the women and their personal and emotional problems- imagine Desperate Housewives without the biting satire. Much like the first half of Dallas season 1, each episode is a self contained story that is generally resolved in the 45 minute running time, which I'm not a huge fan of as I don't feel it gives the writers room to develop storylines well and can at times seem rushed and contrived. Its strength however lies with the characters and it is clear that seeds are being planted which will no doubt blossom into cracking plots when the series becomes a continuing drama and the stories become more outrageous.
Above are the three best characters as far as I'm concerned. In black and white, is Laura Avery played by Constance Mcashin who is the seemingly unhappy, slightly repressed housewife of businessmen Richard. With the dark hair is Karen Fairgate played by the brilliant Michele Lee- she is the upbeat, community activist, loving mother and perfect housewife (I'm sure things won't stay that perfect) who is fast becoming my favourite character. And finally the blonde is the one I remember the most explicitly, Joan Van Ark who plays Valene Ewing, the sweet and innocent but put-upon wife of tortured Gary, black sheep of the mighty Ewing dynasty. It's a shame that this is not as well remembered as Dallas, so if a camp, dramatic 80's soap opera takes your fancy, seek it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment